Situated in the hamlet of Smallwood, on the borders of rural Cheshire & Staffordshire, yet close by junction 17 on the M6 Motorway, the Legs of Man Coaching House & Restaurant can trace its history back to the late 1400's when a licence to sell liquors was granted to an old inn which stood on this site. The Legs of Man gets its name from the days of the late 19th Century when the Isle of Man Steam Ship Company used to bring passengers across to Liverpool and onwards by coach to Stafford and London. There used to be six inns or coaching houses on the route which the horse-drawn coaches took, each with the name The Legs of Man. At each house on the way, the passengers would be able to rest and take refreshment whilst the horses were being changed, or they often stayed overnight in the accommodation provided by the landlords of the inns. The present building was erected in 1939. The Legs of Man was very popular with American troops stationed nearby at Kidsgrove during World War II. They used to bring food to the then Landlady, Mrs Amory, who would cook it for them. The original thatched roof caught fire in 1956 when a spark from the chimney ignited the thatching. A new tiled roof was put in its place. The dining room was used for dances and functions, and had one of the first electric organs to provide music.